Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Little More on WebQuests

I have sent some WebQuest ideas to a couple of my colleagues. Obviously, I think that they have a lot of usefulness, particularly with the lower grades (but not exclusively). Many can be like a scavenger hunt or they can involve some really good research practices. WebQuest Direct has some very helpful ideas for using them in the classroom and even links to some very good supporting articles. As with all Ed Tech ideas, I think one should use WebQuests about like salting your food: just enough to enhance the flavor but too much and you don't want to eat what's on your plate!

One of the best sources that I have found is through San Diego State University (go to "examples" and search in a particular subject area to see some of what is available). They have obviously done a lot of work in this area and provide a pretty good database of how-to's as well as a huge selection of available WebQuests in every subject and grade level imaginable. Of course, there are many sources that require some searching, but I have found a lot of quality associated with this group.

I would not, however, limit myself to these two suggestions as there are seemingly limitless ideas for existing WebQuests as well as tutorials on creating your own. Who knows, it might be neat to have a class help create one or more!

1 comment:

KKRH said...

Thanks again for sharing those with me. I'm definitely going to try to learn more about them and use them as part of a lesson sometime. I wonder, have you tested these out on your own students yet? I'd like to know how they react to it.