Sunday, April 1, 2007

iPod Horizon

Now that I have researched some of the fundamental operations and capabilities of the iPod (and let me just say that podcasts alone make these items a viable educational tool in my opinion), I am left wondering 'what's next?'

For the iPod, a little research led to a site appropriately titled 'AppleInsider' that featured an article on the immediate future of the iPod and related technology. I am sad to say that what they report is that there is no urgency to release a next generation of iPods (with enhanced capabilities). That is not to say that a '6th' generation won't arise at some point, just not yet. One question that comes to mind would be, has Apple gone as far as they can with the iPod? The answer likely would be 'doubtful,' if other forms of technology are any indication as virtually every tech-based appliance is seemingly continuously updated or replaced by something that does its job better, faster, and more cost-efficient.

Actually, any iPod improvements are likely still on the drawing board or are waiting for the release of Apple's latest tech gadget, the iPhone (due out in June, according to AppleInsider). The iPhone seems to be a hybrid (iPod, phone, internet connection) with a wide-screen (3.5 in.) that is controlled by a unique touch display. Et tu Blackberry?! (with apologies to Julius Caesar). Early price estimates are around the $500 mark on the high end, but a phone contract from certain providers can probably make one of these available for a little less than half that amount. After our redesign project of a week ago, I am impressed by the utility and educational capabilities of these multi-function devices (research on the go, for instance). Not being a gizmo person, I find myself strangely attracted to the inherent educational power of this (and similar) devices. My catharsis continues!

1 comment:

KKRH said...

oooh, iPhone! Being a longtime lover of Macintosh (remember Macintosh with their little colorful apple icon?!) ie. Apple products, I'm super excited about their iPhone. Seems like a mini-computer to me. Somehow I missed the whole iPod "bandwagon," but I guess I don't see the point if you've got a good cd player. The iPhone, though..now that's exciting. I'd like to learn a little more about what this phone will do, and the "educational power of this device," as you put it. Good stuff....