Tuesday, April 10, 2007

AP Courses...

The previous posts concerning college entrance tests, coupled with my discussions last week with the faculty I'll be working with next year, have got me thinking about the transition our students make from high school to college. The school I am at now started offering AP courses this year in an effort to better equip our college-bound students, or at least give them an opportunity for an advantage when they apply for the school of their choice.

Since this has become one of the important indicators that many colleges use to gauge academic fitness of potential incoming freshmen, a lot of schools have jumped on the bandwagon. What seems to have happened is the development of some discrepancies in the rigor associated with AP courses from one school to the next. Accordingly, College Board, the organization responsible for AP certification and oversight has had to consider strengthening their standards.

I suppose that in addition to adding a higher layer of education provided to our students, AP classes are likely necessary due to the increases we have seen over the last several years in the numbers of students seeking a college education. In this day and time, it might likely be argued that AP is not fair because all students do not have access to (and in some cases do not want or cannot survive in) these courses. But then again, college was not initially meant to be for everybody! An interesting conundrum this AP business, eh?! Kind of flies in the face of our PC world!

1 comment:

MHopkins said...

I agree that there are problems with the AP classes, classifying students, or in the old sense, "tracking" them. In the middle school concept, these old tracks are no longer alive...except that our math series(Saxon) segregates the students due to scheduling. Essentially, our classes throughout the day are grouped by math ability. All the planning and work to make all classes and kids even fails here.
In the PC world there really is little room for one student to be better than another. All are expected to be equals. Is that why so many smart kids live down to their peers' expectations? I doubt that schools would be seen as doing their jobs if they didn't challenge their most intelligent and hard working students, while continuing to bring the entire school to meet "proficiency".
Your comment about college not being for everyone also made me think about high school. It wasn't that long ago that not everyone was expected to graduate. It wasn't for everyone either. I believe it still isn't in some countries. Sometimes it seems that there really isn't a "correct" answer that will please everyone. Somehow, doing what's best for the student seems to get lost here.
PS---sorry to keep on the tech coordinator position issues. I know that they have their issues and responsibilities. I also know that there are good ones out there that do all they can for their teachers/administrators. Until I get one, I'll just keep doing what I can with what I'm permitted to use. I really am lucky to have the technology that I do. I guess I just have to learn to politic a little more here.